17 October 2023

ABSTRACT SHAPES IN NEWQUAY HARBOUR

It had been some time, in fact, way too long! It was essential that I went to Newquay harbour with my camera on this morning. 

I actually took two cameras, both light and small enough to be brought along comfortably. My trusty Fujifilm X-pro 3, and the newly acquired Canon 6D with one lens on each camera. There is a saying 'one camera, one lens'.
As the Fujifilm X-pro 3 has an APS-C crop sensor, the 27mm lens is equivalent to 41mm.
The Canon 6D is a full frame camera so uses all of the 40mm lens.

So between the two cameras and chosen lenses, I had only one focal length to work with, but that is what I wanted. This way I got to practise with the 6D and learn its strengths, while at the same time take similar framed shots with the X-pro 3, so I could review, print, and pay attention to the different look and feel of each of the camera's photographs.

All that aside, it was so good to get down there. It was low tide so I made my way down onto the sand among the fishing boats. I had no real vision of what I wished to capture, I was just enjoying the freedom found with no limits or restrictions.

I had forgotten why I like it down there so much, it is alive, even when quiet. There is the forever ebb and flow of the tide, plus the changing conditions of the North Atlantic – of course all moving within the framework of the seasons. The brutal storms of winter, when many boats are up on the quay for repairs, the summer crowds with tourist tours, fishing charters and water sports, while the local fishermen carry on bringing in the daily catch through it all.

knives-fishing-boat-harbour
Canon 6D   1/3200   f/2.8   ISO: 100

Canon 6D   1/1000   f/5.0   ISO:100

harbour-low-tide-reflections-abstract
Fujifilm X-pro-3   1/2000   f/5.6   ISO: 160

harbour-buoy-boat-abstract
Fujifilm X-pro 3   1/2000   f/5.6   ISO: 160

More photographs from the harbour can be seen @ harbour : sleeplessink.com