4 October 2023

SQUARE 1:1 SKETCHBOOK & DRAWING (SHORT REEL)

Excerpt from the October Bulletin on my website.

In the early July Bulletin, I mentioned a visit to the Krowji Open Studios, were I met the impressive printmaker Fijke Middendorp. Although not quite matching her relentless twenty minutes (at least) each day drawing in her sketchbook, I have enjoyed adding to my own square (1:1) sketchbook.

It seems the blank pages beckon to have faces drawn on them, it has always been this way, or for at least as long as I can remember. I just find the pen moves on its own and the shapes and simple lined expressions take form in front of me.

The process is cathartic and although repetitive, each page delivers something a little different. I’m gravitating to the idea of creating larger, or layered collage pieces using these drawings, allowing them to take on more life then they do when confined to pages in a closed sketchbook.