11 January 2024

CLOSED FOR WINTER

My daily morning bike ride to Fistral Beach or the Headland, takes me past Towan Beach, and then further on through town.

Along with exercise, fresh air and light, there is the addition of seeing more of Newquay and its winter rhythm. As most of my outings are in the morning I see the town wake up – the late sunrise of each winter day slowly trickling welcome light over the quiet streets.    

When I say I'm enjoying winter, I can hear how strange it sounds in my own head. What da, who da, how da!?

This outlook is novel to me, and I sense at any given moment it may disappear without notice. So while it lasts, and I make it through each day without the usual muttering 'winter sucks' at any downpour, frost or long hours of dark, I continue to remain chipper.

So before I get to Fistral and the open view across the Atlantic, I see and hear a handful of shop shutters creakily rise among the many closed for winter shops.