23 August 2023

MORE PHOTOGRAPHS & INFLUENCE SHOOTING 1:1 RATIO

I have been continuing to shoot with my Fujifilm x100f set to 1:1 ratio and monochrome. It is still enjoyable and satisfyingly different from my other/usual setups.

I haven't shot in black & white for a long time and so have been looking at some of my old photography books, namely 'The Americans" by Robert Frank, 'London 1959' by Sergio Larrain and 'A Lifetime of Looking' by Jane Bown.

Now with this enjoyment of shooting 1:1, it catches my eye when I see it in print, whereas before it may not have registered so clearly.

'A Lifetime of Looking' is fantastic – as it was the first time I got it, and still is now...of course. But when it goes up onto the shelf for a while and other things grab my attention, it goes some way to being overlooked. Then at some point, which is now, it comes down and has the dust blown off the cover, and her wonderful photographs are seen again.

They are so good the book has been open on various pages, over several days and on all the desks, worktops and surfaces around the house.


It's an amazing book, with a good amount of her work in it.

It feels a bit awkward posting a few of my attempts straight after showing snippets from the pages of 'A Lifetime of Looking', but I do enjoy it, while it seems to extend another way of looking and framing.





More of my photographs can be seen @ sleeplessink.com