27 August 2023

SUNNY BRIGHT COLOURS

The weather for July and August has been muddled this year, so it was great to make the most of a good day of sunshine this week!

Of course it is possible to take pictures in all sorts of light, but on Wednesday afternoon I really felt like using the sunshine to get some bright colour into the shots after several days of murky conditions.

Recently I have been looking at the work of Polly Rusyn and admiring the way she shoots with high contrast and bright colours, often I notice her photographs have clear blue skies in them! I guess a necessity to get the most high contrast punch. 

I'm guessing this influenced me to leap at the chance of using the sunshine when it appeared. I didn't change my camera settings to emulate her style, but I did notice my eyes being drawn to colours and high contrast scenes.



For a short period in the afternoon I did quickly change to aspect ratio to 1:1. It has been very enjoyable shooting and practising this way in previous weeks, after seeing its full potential by looking at photographs by Vivian Maier and Jane Bown. However, this time the camera was left to carry on in colour, other than black & white.

For one reason or another, this year hasn't seen as many outings with my camera as in previous years. When I have it is noticeable that I'm trying different ideas, being influenced by seeing the work and styles of other photographers.

It's proving to be very interesting and good practise before naturally returning to the way I have grown to see and shoot. More of my photographs can be seen by visiting my website:  sleeplessink.com